Thursday, December 20, 2007

My Sailor

For those of you who don't know, Jeremy is in the navy. This picture is a little outdated since it was taken at boot camp. All he wears now are his "utiliies" which aren't as traditional, he is a higher rank, and has 4 additional ribbons/medals. I am writing this entry as a tribute to my sailor husband. Sometimes I don't enjoy being a "navy wife" and enduring the many many long hours that Jeremy spends away (it has been more than 80 hours a week for the past 7 months), but as I think about it I am very proud of his choice to serve the country. For the past 4 1/2 years that he has been in the navy, he has advanced quickly and has received numerous awards and commendable letters from the captain and even the admiral. There's so many that they've ended up in a pile under his nightstand. We're trying to figure out a place to put them that doesn't look tacky or boastful (as perhaps I'm being right now). He continues to receive the highest possible level in each of his evaluations which helps him continue to advance the ranks. He has become an invaluable member of his current boat (submarines are called "boats" in the navy) the USS 777 North Carolina which will be commissioned at the beginning of May. Recently Jeremy has learned more about his naval heritage with the passing of his grandmother 2 weeks ago. He learned that his father's father was in the navy and was stationed at Pearl Harbor on the USS Pennsylvania when the Japanese bombed it. Jeremy's father also was in the Naval Reserves. I am proud that my husband loves our country so much that he is willing to spend 7 years of his life to serve it and to sacrifice some time away from his family for our freedom. Thanks Jeremy!

3 comments:

Jen & Johnny said...

You made me cry!! You guys are both awesome!!!

Dana Christensen said...

Hey Carrie! It's been so long, I love catching up with your life on the blog! I'm kind of addicted! :) Glad to see you are well and happy!

Stephanie said...

We need more people that are willing to serve our country like that. It's good to hear patriotism like that...I always tried to teach my students about the sacrifices people have made so we have the freedoms we have.