Saturday, August 23, 2008

Mystic Aquarium


When we first moved to Connecticut we heard great things about the Mystic Aquarium and so decided to take a visit. We decided to buy season tickets so that we could go year round; especially when it's too cold to play outside. I end up taking the kids about once every couple of weeks because they enjoy it so much and we're also trying to kill time until Jeremy gets back. It's so much easier to go now that Corinne can walk on her own--that's right, she's walking and standing all by herself now. Will miracles never cease? Here they are sitting in front of the kelp exhibit with a shark in the background.
Corinne was definitely taking advantage of having a tank right at her eye level of the puffer fish.












This aquarium is very hands-on and has a nice petting tank for sting rays. The kids loved trying to touch them. The sting rays actually came up to their hands once so they could touch them. The kids were ecstatic. I think usually Corinne would be afraid of this stuff, but because Matthew is doing it then it's okay. She always wants to do what he's doing.





Another petting tank inside where you can hold starfish (Matthew's favorite), hermit crabs, spider crabs, and even horseshoe crabs.








Once again, Corinne has to be where Matthew is.











They also have an exhibit where you can feed the birds. You pay $2 and they give you a stick with some birdseed on it and the birds come and land on you to eat. Corinne tried so hard to get the birds to eat from hers, but they never landed on her except once and then it was only for a second and I happened to miss the photo-op.






Corinne trying to entice the birds, but they kept flying away.










Matthew was so excited to finally have a bird on his stick that he wasn't quite sure what to do. Luckily, he stayed very still so that the bird stayed for awhile. By the time we left this exhibit we all had some little bird decorations on us. (I mean bird poop!)





Here's Matthew checking out a beluga whale. The kids loved watching this one for awhile.

7 comments:

Sean & Julia Johnson.... said...

looks like fun :)

karen said...

So much fun! I have never understood why there's nothing like that fun here!

karen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen & Johnny said...

What a fun place!! Your kids are so darling!!! How are you feeling??? I'll bet it's tough with Jeremy gone!! You are such a trooper!!!! I don't like it when Johnny is even gone for a couple of days!! The single mom thing is sooooo not for me!!! When does Jeremy get back??

Our Paper Plates said...

how fun :) it reminds me of my childhood in S.F! fun memories for the kids! Hey, why don't you have any preggos pictures on here, by the way?! I feel cheated!

Stephanie said...

Will was excited to see all the animals. Corinne is getting so big! I'm glad that she's walking now...doesn't it make life easier? Mckenzie is walking now too...a little unsteady, but no more crawling!

kellibattraw said...

Oh how fun! I'm almost kind of sad though that Corinne isn't doing her famous knee walking anymore. : )