Thursday, January 8, 2009

Learning the hard way

Corinne and Matthew begin the mornings with a cup of milk. It seems they can't function without it. So, I'll give them some milk so I can get breakfast ready and get the day started. Many times they will take their milk to various places in the house and play with toys until it's time to eat. Then it becomes a hide-and-seek game for me to find the milk. Yesterday I lost. I couldn't find Corinne's milk no matter where I looked. I searched her usual hiding places to no avail. Today, I finally won! I was feeding Nora in her room and found the milk cup hiding in a corner. Corinne just happened to be in the room and spied it the same time I did. Since I was a little busy and couldn't just jump right up, she started drinking the milk before I could stop her. I then assumed that the milk must still be fine since she didn't spit it out and continued to drink it. How wrong I was. I don't know why kids are so picky at mealtimes yet can manage to swallow rancid milk or bleach or all kinds of other chemicals without noticing the horrible taste. A few minutes later (I'm still feeding Nora), Corinne looks at me with a funny look and starts spewing white chunks everywhere. I grab the nearest burp cloth and hold it up to her to try to minimize the mess, but she shakes her head back and forth almost purposely to fling the chunks to the farthest corners of the room. Mealtime abruptly ends for Nora and I put her down on the ground and carry a crying Corinne at arms length down the hall and to the bathtub leaving a trail of chunks behind. I turn the water on and pour some toys into the tub to keep her happy while I do my best to clean up the foul-smelling mess. As if the vomit smell isn't bad enough, it is combined with the putrifying smell of rancid milk. The only smell worse is gangrene. Not even Matthew's poop, stored in his colon for days before being excreted, can top this odor. After several minutes of scrubbing and trying to find every last white chunk dispersed throughout the room, I now have to scrub down Corinne and try to make sure I get the smell off of her, which I don't think I fully did since I didn't wash her hair--I'll save that for tonight. I refuse to take pictures of or post pictures of this event. No one wants to see it. All of you mothers will have plenty of opportunities to see vomit first hand without having to see pictures of it from other children. We'll just call this whole experience a lesson learned with sour milk. May you never experience it!

11 comments:

Melinda said...

Oh the joys of being a parent! Thank you for not posting pictures.

dallin said...

Sorry, I just couldn't help laughing. We have had a number of similar experiences in our home. Hope the smell goes away soon, it usually takes a few days for us :-)

Sean & Julia Johnson.... said...

that was such a good laugh!! I'm sure you weren't laughing.. & I can imagine that happening to me in the future, & not laughing even more!!!

Amy E. said...

I know Connecticut is cold, but how cold do you keep your house? I hope not cold enough for milk to keep! Poor Carrie, Corinne, and Nora!

kellibattraw said...

Ugh! That is one disgustingly funny story. Of course it wouldn't have been funny if it had happened to me though. : )

Kiersti said...

You didn't post pictures (thanks) but you did manage to paint a very graphic picture, and it is hilarious, I might pee a little.

Matt and Jayna said...

Oh man, that sounds awful! It's scary what kids will drink out of a cup. When my little sister was around one year old she drank turpentine out of a cup in our neighbors garage, and almost died. It was very scary! Hope the smell is gone now!

Matt and Jayna said...

Oh man, that sounds awful! It's scary what kids will drink out of a cup. When my little sister was around one year old she drank turpentine out of a cup in our neighbors garage, and almost died. It was very scary! Hope the smell is gone now!

Tracie White said...

Hahaha! Sorry for laughing, but if you're a mom, that's all too familiar. Thanks for the laugh!

Jessica 7 said...

Oh man - that's gross! Through the years I've found many a lost milk cup. Do you know that it turns to a fluorescent yellow goo after many many days of being lost? None of my kids have ever actually tried to drink the old milk though, so you have an experience that I don't!

Heather said...

I had to laugh, because anyone with kids has had experiences similar to that. Luckily I haven't had to deal with vomit yet--you were so descriptive--I felt like I was there and I have to agree that gangrene is the worst smell ever!!