Dinner time at our house begins like most others. Tonight, for example, we had chicken enchiladas. Nothing unusual. The interesting part is what the kids actually eat. From what I understand most children are picky eaters and stay safely in the carbohydrate group of the food pyramid, sometimes venturing out to eat fruits and rarely vegetables. My house is a different story. The kids were particularly hungry tonight so they gobbled up their enchiladas using sour cream as a major condiment (my kids think it should have its own food group). They then begin eating the sides of lettuce and tomatoes. Not so unusual you may think. But we're not done. Now it's time to entice the kids to finish what's on their plates. Jeremy had casually mentioned that he wanted some carrot cake, which we don't have. Matthew runs to the fridge and pulls out a ziploc bag with carrot sticks in it, thinking that Daddy would like just plain carrots instead. Corinne gets so excited to see the carrots and begins asking for them. We tell her she has to finish her tomatoes and enchiladas which she does enthusiastically. Matthew, in the meantime, is snacking on shredded lettuce and then pulls out the celery sticks and munches on one.
Mind you, I'm not complaining. I'm glad my kids are developing a wide variety of foods to enjoy. It just makes me laugh especially when we make pizza and put everything on--pepperoni, olives, mushrooms, green peppers, tomatoes, and onions. The kids will pull off all of the toppings and eat those and leave the rest of the pizza. Corinne actually munches on the toppings while we're making the pizza--even the onions (I then tell her to go give Daddy kisses). They especially like mushrooms, so we entice them to eat some foods by telling them that there are mushrooms in it and they have to find the mushrooms. I remember being disgusted with mushrooms as a child, mostly due to their slimey texture. Sometimes when they are finished eating we try to entice them with a dessert and they refuse it and tell us, "no thank you." What kid doesn't like sweets? Apparently my kids.
4 comments:
Wow . . . I am impressed!
i wish my husband ate that good!
Wow, your kids are strange! Just joking. Our kids usually like their vegetables too, although they almost always love something with sugar in it. I finally got them to eat hot dogs and pizza (great accomplishment, right?) And Mckenzie thinks sour cream is its own meal too. And ketchup definitely is helpful in getting them to eat things too.
Lucky!!! How did you swing that one?
Post a Comment