Thursday, July 30, 2009

Super powers

When I was in college, the first of a wave of superhero movies came to the big screen: Spiderman, X-Men, etc. It became the new trend to have a superhero alias and secret super powers. One friend declared he had the super power of not needing sleep and dubbed himself "The Owl." If I ever said I had super powers or gave myself a name I have no recollection of it.

I do believe that some people have secret super powers and one of these powers has emerged in one of my children. I'm not sure what the technical super power name for it is, but it is the power to damage or numb others eardrums with a high ear-piercing scream. Corinne has this power and definitely uses it to her advantage. It seems to work extremely effectively while she is playing with Matthew and he takes something from her or physically hurts her. She then uses her super power and lets out the high-pitched scream and Matthew retreats, covering his ears with his hands (as we previously showed him how to do with fireworks and other loud noises). Between them they have termed it "loud" and is used as a verb. For example, "don't loud me, Corinne!"

I feel as though I'm pretty immune to this super power at home. However, I think Corinne has realized it is much more effective on me in public. If I tell her we're leaving the playground or she doesn't get her way in the store, here comes the scream. I wince in embarrassment at the undesirable attention from others. I just need to figure out the super power that counteracts the scream and acquire it. I haven't decided on her super hero alias yet and I am open to suggestions. I'm leaning towards "The Banshee," but I'm not sure it has the right ring to it. Feel free to leave suggestions and I will award the winner a duel with "The ?."

9 comments:

Melinda said...

Corinne should duel with Hannah. Hannah's super power is her whine. She may not be as loud as "Scream" but I assure you, her power is at least as annoying. She's in her room as I type because of it. I just couldn't take it anymore.

Jennie said...

Raelyn has that same super power! A name for it could be "Siren" from the mermaids in the old folktale.

Good luck finding the antedote power to her scream...and let me know when you do. :)

Sean & Julia Johnson.... said...

that was hilarious :) Sams super power is being the worst teether on the planet. He is sooo whiney & cries non-stop when he is breaking a tooth. It makes me want to rip my hair out. It's all about endurance with him.. the annoyance has to have follow through.

Kiersti said...

Hilarious! Lauren's super power is "the look" - but I have a better "look" that I know I got from my dad that is slightly more powerful....only slightly. Since she's mastered it at such a young age I really feel bad for her future children.
I think the above mention "siren" is a pretty good one!

Tracie White said...

Hmmmm. In the genre of sirens, maybe 'Air Raid', 'Ambulence', or 'Car Alarm'? Thankfully my children don't posses that superpower so I don't have many suggestions. All I can think of is the immediate time-out, but I know that doesn't work in the store. Good luck!

Ronya said...

YOU CRACK ME UP. My mom used to tape my mouth shut. If anyone says anything to you... you can just say oh she loves having tape on her. that silly girl. lol. I mean she cant really defend herself. lol. Im going to make a good mother. I can see it now.

dallin said...

You know, I kinda like the sound of "the banshee" You have my approval for this one.
-Dallin

Jessica 7 said...

The term 'supersonic' comes to mind. I don't know if I've ever heard her scream - maybe I'll get to next week! ;) I really like the tape suggestion.

TAMMY CLARIDGE said...

Supersonic sounds like a good one or The Siren. I need to think of a super hero name for Bralen, as well. He does this "special" scream to only me and Brandon but won't do it to others. It is a learned behavior to get our attention since he couldn't talk when he was younger (still can't!). Anyway, VERY funny about Corinne.

I went back and read all your posts and the one on New Language from June had me cracking up! Alot of the posts did. Kids make for great blog stories, if nothing else!

Now that you are coming to AZ, we are leaving. But we will be closer than where you live now at least. Good luck! Your house is looking great.