Friday, June 4, 2010

Venice

Finally, Jeremy is getting out of the navy. In celebration of this momentous event and because we have spent very limited time together during his time in the navy due to his working 90-100+ hours a week (I am not exaggerating), we were able to go to Italy for about 11 days to help Jeremy's brother Jeff celebrate his wedding. We'd like to give a big note of thanks to those who watched our kids for us. THANKS a million to Justin, Tanya, and Anita for watching Nora and to the Hoopes, Elledges and Hedges for watching Matthew and Corinne during that time. It was a relief to know that the kids were being well taken care of while we were gone. The wedding took place in Tuscany, but we chose to travel to other parts of Italy while we were there. Our first stop was Venice. We only spent one night there and walked around San Marcos square and did the obligatory gondola ride. We also had the best food in Italy at a small restaurant called "Il Ridotto."
The street/canal that our bed and breakfast was on.


In San Marcos Square they had about 3 simultaneous free concerts being performed, as well as a whole flock full of nasty pigeons that would land on you if you fed them. No, I did not let the nasty rats with wings land on me.


View from the Rialto bridge.


A non-touristy treasure we found while getting lost through the streets of Venice. It is a military building that we thought was beautiful.





Us on our gondola ride.



















8 comments:

Strong Family - said...

That's awesome that you guys got to do that!!! Can't wait to see more pictures. And I love the Navy countdown too. :-) Lauree

Elise said...

Congratulations on your mutual escape - and to Italy, one of the greatest escapes in the world. Couldn't happen to a more deserving couple.

Anonymous said...

I am so incredibly jealous.

But I'm so happy for you, too. It looks so beautiful. What a long, wonderful vacation...

Miss you.

Kiersti said...

I don't think I could be more jealous - Italy is my DREAM!!! How awesome you guys got to have such a beautiful vacation! You definitely deserve it! And I can't wait to see what you brought me.....cuz I'm sure you wouldn't have forgotten to bring me a present :)
Love you!

Dean Strong said...

Sono felice che voi avete l'opportunita di andare alla bella Italia. Tanti aguri nella vostra futura.

Tracie White said...

Oh how fun! Glad you got to go and enjoy some time together. Good for you!

Deborah said...

Man oh man, that is so cool that you guys got to go to Italy...alone. Did you find yourself looking around for your kids just out of habit?

Kimo said...

I am so glad that you were able to take such a fun trip! It looks like you had a wonderful time! I LOVE Italy!