Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Channeling the Energy

As my long time readers know, I have had struggles with Corinne's strong and stubborn personality since, well, since she was born. She has always wanted things a certain way and is determined to make it known to me in whatever way possible--usually screaming and a tantrum. She also has had a secret reserve of energy that allows her to bounce all over the house when she's happy, or to scream her lungs out til the end of time, depending on her mood. However, with this pregnancy, I think I have finally found a way to focus this determination and energy to my benefit.

We have had several talks over the past few months about how things will change when the baby comes and things I will and will not be able to do for the kids, and we've also talked about ways that they can help me out. Corinne has taken this to heart and has become my "happy helper." I can ask her to do most anything (within the abilities of a 4-year old of course) and she will do it willingly. It's to the point that I can rely on her to do things more than Matthew. Some tasks include setting the table, fetching diapers for me so I can change Nora's diaper, and then taking said dirty diaper to the garbage can outside, picking up things, fetching things for Nora to help her stay entertained and happy, and even cleaning on certain occasions. She even does it happily. She responds with "ok mom," or my favorite, "sure I will." These tasks give her a sense of responsibility and accomplishment and helps channel all that raw energy for good. I definitely respond favorably whenever she does something for me to encourage further positive behavior. Our home has definitely been much more pleasant with my "happy helper" around. I only hope it lasts.

4 comments:

Ronya said...

yeah she was great while we were there and I LOVED that she ALWAYS too out Trenton's dirty diapers. I was telling Justin we need a corinne helper! we loved it!

Stephanie said...

Yeah for Corinne and the Medfords! I'm glad you found a way to use that energy!

Elise said...

Hooray!!

TAMMY CLARIDGE said...

So cute! Maybe her love language is quality time and when she is helping, she is getting the attention she needs from you and in turn, makes her feel loved and very happy. I think Javan is the same way. I hope it continues for you when the baby comes!