Sunday, March 28, 2010

Score

Score: Medfords-10, Black widows-0
We have found 10 black widow spiders outside our house (so grateful it's outside and not inside!) since moving here in February. They are one of the most venomous spiders and it creeps me out knowing they are so close to me and my children. The nice thing is that they are nocturnal and don't come out until it's dark--when my kids are tucked safely away in bed. I tried to find a picture that best shows their creepy spindly legs. I don't think you can really get a feel for how creepy they are unless you witness them crawling around in their webs. Eew!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Death to all spiders!

Martell said...

Yeah! Get those things! I've got some childhood memories of dumping ortho on black widows when we lived in Utah. They are by far the creepiest looking spiders that I've ever seen.

kellibattraw said...

Um, yah, they're REALLY common here. We had a wood pile in our back yard and when we moved the wood we found at least 50 black widows! Talk about creepy!!!

Alli said...

Nasty little things! I used to loathe spiders the most...now I have found something that I loath even more than spider: TICKS!!!! disgusting little bugs! Glad to know that none of them have made it inside. Keep up the battle!

dallin said...

I remember at our old house in the old shed Dad would find black widow egg sacs. once he opened one and all these tiny eggs came out and he had all us kids come and stomp on them. Fun times.
You should get some Cyper-WP pesticide, that works well for the outside pests, you can find it generic online for relatively cheap. I just mix it with water in a pressure sprayer and spray around the house every few months, does a pretty good job of keeping the pests away. Now if I could just find some good snake repellent...

Jessica 7 said...

I am very glad the black widows have 0 points. I remember growing up always being told to stay away from them - icky!!

Jessica 7 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.