Thursday, April 17, 2008

Dive School

So the real reason we went to Panama City, FL was because Jeremy was selected from his boat to go to scuba dive school. His submarine needs about 5 scuba divers in order to be able to go out to sea and his only had 3. Their main job is to inspect the boat prior to going out to sea and look for bombs or anything else suspicious on the boat. It's a 5 week school where the first 2 weeks consist mainly of class time where they learn about their equipment and the dangers of scuba diving. Week 3 is the most intense week of pool training. They learn how to use their equipment under water and are tested in severe situations such as having equipment malfunctions. They also have a proctor swimming with them that will randomly pull off their equipment, tie their hoses in knots, and push them around at the bottom of the pool. Every day that week Jeremy came home so tired, sunburned, and with scratches on his knees and elbows. Several guys dropped out that week and one guy came out of the pool crying. I guess it wasn't easy.
But Jeremy did graduate and was named class leader in the beginning of the class. The instructors said that Jeremy was the best class leader they've ever had go through dive school and always knew where all the guys were and kept everything organized and made the instructors' jobs a lot easier. That was nice to hear. Here are some of the cool diver outfits that the real navy divers wear. Jeremy is only scuba qualified and doesn't have to wear this stuff that's for the scavenger divers that look for bombs on the ocean floor. Now Jeremy has one more pin to put on his uniform. Congratulations Jeremy!

4 comments:

Megan C. said...

That's awesome! How does he do it? I would die trying, I'm sure.

Amy E. said...

Now, Carrie, you need to get scuba qualified and you and Jeremy could have a great vacation! My friend wants me to get qualified, but I'm not so sure-especially after you said a guy came out crying...

Carrie Medford said...

This dive school is more intense than a civilian dive school. I would like to get scuba qualified but when I went tandem in Brazil, I wasn't that excited about it. I'd much rather prefer snorkeling.

amy said...

that's definitely NOT the job for me...i know i'd be crying!

but i applaud jeremy! sounds intense. he is tough!