I think I have a little Jackson Pollock on my hands. I was looking up some stuff on the computer one evening and saw the kids go upstairs. I thought, "how cute, they're playing together." And they were. Usually they will just pull stuff out from under my vanity like hairspray or rollers and scatter them around. But I had completely forgotten about the thoughtful gift of ugly orange and purple nailpolish we received in a gift basket from the USS North Carolina. That's when Matthew's creative artistic juices started flowing--all over my carpet. And Corinne was a good helper of smearing it around. When I saw what was going on, I took the kids away from the mess and went downstairs to research how to get nail polish out of my carpet. I had Corinne on my lap and looked at her and noticed some purple around her lips. I looked into her mouth and sure enough, there was some purple on her teeth and that smell on her breath. Just great. Now I had to research the number for poison control. Luckily, nail polish (at least this brand) is non-toxic. So, I give the kids a bath and scrub all the polish off of their little arms and legs. When the bathwater drained there was a pretty trail of purple along the bottom of the tub. After the kids went to bed, I started using all of the home remedies I found online. At first it just seemed to smear the mess. So I pulled out my scissors and began cutting out the polish. This took hours and days. A week later (today) I have finished cutting it out and used the home remedies again of nail polish remover, hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol, carpet cleaner, Windex (many people swore by this--they must have watched "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"), WD40, hot water, and a washcloth. After several minutes, maybe hours, of scrubbing this is what was left:
Now tell me if you think we need to replace this carpet. We are moving in a few days and have renters coming in. Jeremy hasn't seen it yet and I need some opinions.
10 comments:
I wouldn't replace it, at least not until after the renters. It's not noticeable (at least not in the picture) and as for renters, they'll probably add more stains.
My opinion is that if you replace the carpet, wait until you get back so you can have fresh carpet for either you or to show if you decide to sell.
I agree with the above comment. You're kids are as creative as Erin's kids. I wish I had a picture to show of her walls, but they look similar to the way your carpet looked. Only lots more colors!
Wow, it's amazing that you were able to get it looking that good considering the before pictues. I think Melly has some good advice, if you are going to replace the carpet, wait until you are going to sell.
With 4 kids, i'm amazed we haven't had anything like that happen so far. Good luck on whatever you decide
-Dallin
Congrats on a job well-done! I can't believe that's the same piece of carpet. Just tell the renters to put a little rug there, or not cause I can't really see anything.
I can't believe you got it all out!!! It looks wonderful!!! I am very impressed!!!
I'd definately leave the carpet. It's fine :)
My girls did basically the same thing - except with red food coloring. That never did come out! I am glad you got it out!
like all other comments, i think you should leave it too. if you ever decide to move back into the home or sell it, then you can replace the carpet or give the buyer a "carpet allowance" when you replace it. Still, it looks good. Be sure to show us where you are moving to :)
Good Luck on your move Carrie!! We miss you guys already! Thanks for all the work you did in Primary!! My kids loved it so much. Keep in touch with all of us.
Cherie
It will probably be fine...as everyone else said. Let me know your new info. I hope the move goes well. I've been thinking of you guys! :-Amy
ditto to the advice of melinda.
i can't believe you got it out as well as you did!! i would've thought there was no way around nail polish in carpet. and what you said about corinne made me remember the time i found magi was eating vicks vapo rub!! that scared me!! so far, she seems to have still turned out ok...
and it reminds me of the very entertaining lectures we had by a prof who used to work answering calls for poison control. you can't believe what people will eat/drink!
Post a Comment