Sunday, May 11, 2008

We've Moved!

The packers came on Tuesday and boxed all of our belongings. Then the movers came on Wednesday and moved everything into the truck. We cleaned the house and headed out around 6pm. We had only been driving about 15-20min and were just about to reach the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (From shore to shore, the Bridge-Tunnel measures 17.6 miles (28.4 km) and is considered the world's largest bridge-tunnel complex) when Matthew vomited all over himself, his carseat, and the car underneath. It was a beautiful reddish-pink color from the kool-aid he had just been drinking. So, we pull over to the nearest Wendy's and clean Matthew up, change his clothes, clean up as much of the car as possible and eat. Looking on the bright side I'm glad it happened before we went on the bridge tunnel because there are no shoulders to pull off onto.

Our journey then continued uneventful except for Corinne's occasional cryings because she's tired and not in her bed until about 10pm when another episode of vomit occurred in the backseat. Yes, Matthew threw up again. We pulled over to a Dairy Queen and cleaned Matthew up again and found a nearby hotel to spend the night. It looked luxurious with a separte room for the kids and a king size bed with jacuzzi for Jeremy and I. However, this "non-smoking" room definitely smelled of smoke and one of the toilets wobbled whenever you sat on it. At least it was a place to sleep and we weren't in the same room as the kids.

The next day began on a drizzling rainy day. We drove through Delaware, New Jersey, past New York City, and into Connecticut. Most of the drive consisted of Corinne whining on and off with me throwing crackers back at her, constantly looking at Matthew to see if he's about to throw up, searching wallets and coin purses for toll roads, changing movies for Matthew to watch, and trying to entertain Jeremy who is getting severe cabin fever from being on the road too long. Did my mom have to deal with all that on car trips? We were on a tight schedule since Jeremy arranged a 1 pm appointment in Groton to look at housing. About an hour away from Groton (at noon) another episode of vomiting happened. We pulled over to McDonald's to clean up (we couldn't change Matthew because we didn't have any more clean clothes for him) and eat. Jeremy then had to call and postpone our appointment by an hour.

Everything worked out well in the end, though. We received a newly constructed townhouse style house provided by the navy. It is approx. 2000 sq ft, has a garage, a bigger kitchen, wood floors, 4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms, free utilities, free house and yard maintenance, and plenty of storage! We couldn't have asked for more. The movers came on Friday and we've been unpacking since. I'll post pictures of our place once it's all put together. We're glad we've got a place to live in, that we didn't have any car problems this trip, and now that we know Matthew gets carsick we can better prepare for future trips!

16 comments:

the dahle family said...

Good luck getting unpacked and settled! We miss you guys already! Katie

Our Paper Plates said...

LOL - this story made me giggle. I'm so glad you made it to your new home safe. Can't wait to see the pictures when it is all set up!! :)

Melanie said...

Wow, Norm! You sound like you're still smiling after all of that. I'm not sure I would be, even though I found myself laughing while reading about someone else going through it... Your house sounds great, and I hope your unpacking and settling in goes quickly.

Chris and Andrea said...

WOW! It looks like you had a busy couple of weeks! That is exciting that you are now in Connecticut. I acn't wait to see the pictures!

Deborah said...

O My Goodness...What a trip! I'm glad you're not on the road anymore...poor Matthew. Can't wait to see the pictures. We miss you.

Rachel said...

What a trip! Your new home sounds fabulous. I hope you enjoy your new digs. Post pictures soon!

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sean & Julia Johnson.... said...

Carrie- you are supermom!!! Hope your mothers day was nice. It's awesome that you guys have a great new place & it sounds spacious :) Sory bout the vomitting bouts, that seriously sucks :(

dallin said...

Haha, I love long car trips with the kids. I remember quite a few incidents with us when we were kids, esp. one where one of the kids had diarrhea and it leaked out of the diaper all over the seat. (I think it was Daniel :-). The seat was never the same.
Your house sounds great though. Hope you guys get all settled in soon
-Dallin

kellibattraw said...

I'm glad you guys made it safely. Your house sounds lovely, the car trip not so much. : ) I look forward to some new pictures of your adorable family and new house soon!

Stephanie said...

I'm glad you made it and look forward to pics of your new house. I keep forgetting to tell you...Will has a few shirts that say Old Navy and I had told him that Uncle Jeremy is in the Navy. Now sometimes he's says "Old Navy and Uncle Jeremy in the Navy". Let Jeremy know he's got a little fan here in AZ :)

Karen said...

What a perfect discription of driving with kids. That was me the whole way to Utah and back at Christmas time minus the vomiting. I got so sick of taking off my seatbelt, turning around as best I could and putting that pacifier back in Kate's mouth. What a dream it would have been to be David and drive instead! I hope you enjoy your new place.

Amy E. said...

As to the question if your mom had to deal with that kind of stuff, i say yes. I would know, I was the guilty party who got carsick and wouldn't take dramamine. Sorry the trip was rough-dramamine does work well for that and they have yummy chewable kind. much better than the nasty pills or liquid when we were little!

CBenroth said...

It sounds like it was an eventful drive! I'm glad you guys made it safely and have a lovely new home to move into. We miss you back here!

Jennie said...

You poor thing! I'm glad that you got such a great house after all that you went through!

amy said...

as unpleasant as it must've been at the time, your trip to your new home makes a great blog entry! :) i love how you always try to see the bright side of things!

i only took a couple car trips with your family and thought they were a blast! of course, it probably helped that i was with my best friend! i don't remember anyone getting sick. although i do remember one time your dad stopped the car and pulled off the road to give everyone a talking to. ;)

sounds like your house is really nice. that's great!---sounds like you might even have room for the occasional guest too...(hee hee!)